Thursday, September 25, 2008

Party like its 11:29

So last Saturday there was a small party in the Ghallager's bar.  Open-Mic until 10 or 11, and then live DJs until dawn! (or at least until the DJs got bored, which apparently happened when the place emptied around 3am).  Its all BYOB, which makes things a little boring if you don't have a stockpile in your room or don't want to bring anything down.  Not to mention the bar itself isn't open until staff comes down with mainbody next week or so.  Anyways, it wasn't too bad.  My preferred style of dance appears to involve a lot of jumping about and moving around.  I dare anyone to say they got a better workout than me that night.

This upcoming Saturday is the Carpentry Shop party.  We'll have a few live bands and then one of my coworkers will DJ the rest of the night (he was one of the DJs at last week's party).  I guess drinks will be on the Carp Shop since we're being asked to pitch in $20 each.  It should be interesting, as nothing says "PARTY ON!" like a buncha drunk people in a shop full of dangerous power tools (we'll probably lockout-tagout everything, though).

I've been working on various projects in the shop when not clearing snow.  The other day I made 96 'dead-men'.  These are wooden snow anchors for tents made out of a 2x4x20 length of lumber with a 7' rope looped through it.  You bury the wood in the snow and tie your tent down to the rope.  The other day I was asked to make three keychains for our shop trucks.  These were to be small wooden fish to attack the keys too.  Someone else ended up making keychains out of chunks of wood, so apparently my fish project has been canceled.  I've been working on them anyways, since I already cut and sanded the fish, I might as well keep them for personal recreational use!

Otherwise not a lot else has been going on.  It would appear my body isn't used to this kind of physical labor yet.  Lately I've been waking up in the middle of the night with my hand(s) on fire with pins and needles, as if the circulation in my arm was cut off, my hand started to go to sleep and then suddenly caught fire.  This is accompanied by a pain that extends from my wrist up to my armpit.  Usually this is just in the right arm.  Someone else said they had this happen to them the other year when they were a janitor.  They were given a routine of stretches to do, which I have started in hopes to treat this.  After I have been up a while the burning is gone, but my right hand and arm are usually a little inflamed, my hand has a somewhat numb feeling to it and two or three fingertips usually are just outright numb.  I also can't close my fingers completely, I guess a side-effect of the inflammation.  Sometimes when I start to use my left side more to compensate my left hand and arm get a similar but less intense experience.  Hopefully my body will adjust soon and this will all go away.  Ah well.  Since it seems to just be from not being used to the work, it should go away at some point.

I also picked up some Super Glue for 'medicinal purposes'.  Antarctica is a dry place.  Combine that with the fact they want you to wash your hands religiously to prevent the spread of germs and you're looking at a lot of hands that are as rough ad sandpaper and fingertips that split.  I used the glue on some of these splits on my fingers.  Works much better than that liquid skin stuff.

1 comment:

mommybunny said...

You dance?
What, no pictures?
Partying with power tools? Hilarious!
The arm pain could be carpel tunnel syndrome. Better see the doc.
Party on!