Monday, November 3, 2008

WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!


DANGER!

So since I've been down here there have been several days when the station has had blastings around. In the last two or three days we've had a few just next to the Wasterwater Treatment Plant, but usully they have the things so well covered you don't even notice they've done anything.

Usually.

Today I was in the vat room, hosing down the large tanks and pretending I was someplace a lot more pleasant when suddenly BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
I looked up at the south wall and several of the windows were darkened and there was a loud rumbling. As fast as I could I turned off my hose, put it down, then RAN to the door in to the office part of the building. I saw my coworker Dale (who permanently works in Wastewater) looking out the door towards the hillside where they were blasting on. The snow on the hill facing the building was all gray with snow and rubble. Looking back at the building we noticed the outer panes of glass in two windows were shattered and there was a large dent and several smaller dings in the wall with a pile of rocks and debris at the bottom of the wall. After a quick assessment of the damage inside (there is no obvious signs of damage on the inside) we quickly grabbed the nearest white rag and waved it out the door, proclaiming that we were infact surrendering.

To anyone who reads this message, send backup! We're holed up in the wastewater treatment plant of McMurdo Station, Antarctica, successfully holding back our attackers with pressurized water hoses and handfuls of biosolids.

2 comments:

mommybunny said...

Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
That was too funny!

Sounds like the explosives crew has been to one too many parties...
They don't realize who they're messing with... or that you have biological weapons!
What are they blasting?

XNtr3k said...

I don't know what they are blasting, but they're doing most of it right outside the powerplants.
We think they used a LOT of charges that day (I heard a rumor 4 sticks of dynamite equivalent) because the previous day they did not use enough and had to try again.