Friday, December 19, 2008

The Grinch who STOLE MY CHRISTMAS DINNER!

Much of the same.  I did another two days of Firewatch in Crary Lab.  This time I took a copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to read in the downtime.  I got nearly halfway through the 700+ page novel today.  Good stuff.

I checked my mail the other day.  I saw from the package list I had something, but I did not realize that I had two letters from my Grandmother.  I kind of lose track of the days that seem to go by quickly, and Building 140 (which is home to the shuttles office, central supply, and the post office) is kind of out of the way of my daily routines so I forget to check for regular flat mail.  It was nice to see the birthday and Christmas cards which are now taped up on my closet with the rest of the mail I have been getting from friends and family.  Also, my package consisted of four pairs of REI wool hiking socks.  This brings my current REI wool hiking sock count up to 5 and a half pair (I lost one in the line of duty during laundry day, I may put up 'Lost Sock' flyers).

The program seems to be toying with the notion of using commercial airliners to transport station personnel.  I have already heard about the trip in one of these from a woman who flew down in a big Airbus.  Apparently half of these things are business class (first come, first seated) and that they have flight attendants and drink service.  And everyone has a window to watch the entire trip.
I can only hope they keep these around for my flight back!

Christmas is rolling around.  One more week.  Decorations have been going up all over town and I am tempted to buy candy to dump into all the stockings hanging on doors all throughout the dorms and Crary.  Someone has to fill them.  Lacking lumps of coal, I may substitute with rocks from the ground outside for some.

Bad news on that note.  The galley staff pulled out something like 150+lbs of prime rib to thaw for Christmas dinner.  They left it out on the back loading dock.  It has since vanished.  This could be another product of the McMurdo Rumormill (in which anything goes!) but I have heard it from several people now.  I suspect to hear about a 'steak party' soon, or of the Kiwis the next town over throwing a huge party.

No comments: